Friday, January 1, 2010

Hello, 2010 ... I've been waiting for you!

I don't know about you, but I love New Year's Day.  It's one of those lazy holidays where  you're just recuperating from the night before  ... mulling around and deciding if you "feel" like doing something or not.  At least, that's what it is for us! 

We had a great NYE night ... hung out at a friend's house with other couples and ate, drank and played games.  (It's hard to play Taboo while drinking ... but damn funny!)  We didn't get home till after 4am - and that to me is a sign of a good night!

So ... have you guys heard about choosing one little word for your year from Ali Edwards?  I've done this in the past, and while I may not live with it imprinted on my forehead ... I do find myself remembering my word throughout the year - especially if I feel myself getting discouraged about a situation. 

This year my word is embrace.  

em⋅brace

1[em-breys] Show IPA verb, -braced, -brac⋅ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to take or clasp in the arms; press to the bosom; hug.
2. to take or receive gladly or eagerly; accept willingly: to embrace an idea.
3. to avail oneself of: to embrace an opportunity.
4. to adopt (a profession, a religion, etc.): to embrace Buddhism.
5. to take in with the eye or the mind.
6. to encircle; surround; enclose.
7. to include or contain: An encyclopedia embraces a great number of subjects.

For me, it's all about definition No. 3 ... to avail oneself.  I want to take a more active part in my life.  (You're probably thinking um ... duh!)  This year was a somewhat hard one.  Lots of things that I thought were just a given, weren't.  I doubted myself and my abilities - though I vanquished that doubt quickly time and time again.  I sometimes felt that my life was just being spent going from one task to another and that I was forgetting to enjoy the process and the moments in between.  So for 2010 ... I will embrace the changes that will come into our lives - expected and unexpected.  I will embrace new opportunities and go after the ones that I truly want.  I will embrace my life.  I will find ways to enhance it and stick with the ones that work for me, and change the ones that don't.


Now ... I need to go embrace some cleaning.  For whatever reason this year, I want my Christmas decorations away.  I usually keep them up longer, but not this year.  I actually considered taking everything down on the 26th, but held off.  I think it has to do with just wanting all of 2009 to be done and finished.  


Later I plan on doing some self-evaluating.  Seeing where I am within myself and what I would like to accomplish for myself this year.  From unfinished projects to personal goals.  That and some quality snuggling time with the hubby.  Sounds like a good day to me!


 

1 comment: